Merit cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2015
The government is always poor centric and most of the policies taken up by central and state governments is to improve the conditions of those living in not so good conditions and to provide equal opportunities and support to their entire population. One such scheme is merit cum means scholarship.
It aims to provide financial assistance to the poor and bring meritorious students from the minority communities so that they can excel in their life and take their families and community ahead with the contemporary world. The scheme, in a nutshell, provides financial assistance to the meritorious students of weaker sections of the society.
The scheme is available for students of India only and the scholarship is awarded through the respective state governments or union territories and the agencies assigned by the respective government of the state.
Conditions for getting scholarship under Merit cum Means Scholarship Scheme
- The financial assistance in the form of scholarship would be given to meritorious students so that they can pursue technical and professional courses at graduate and post graduate level from any recognized university. The maintenance allowance and course fee is credited or transferred directly in to the saving bank accounts of the respective selected students.
- In order to be eligible for the scholarship, a student should have passed or cleared the competitive examination to the professional/technical course of the respective college/institute/university.
- At the same time, even those students are eligible to get assistance under the scheme who have not cleared any competitive examination, but are desirous of getting admission to the professional course. However, they would be required to have secured at least 50 per cent of marks in their last examination, i.e. secondary/graduate level.
- The scholarship would not be restricted to the entry year only. The eligible students would be getting this financial assistance throughout the course, provided they are able to manage qualifying marks in during their professional courses.
- Any student who is getting scholarship under this scheme should not be enjoying any other scholarship from anywhere else.
- In order to get scholarship under this scheme, the gross income of the parents/guardian of the students should not be more than Rs 2.5 lakh per annum and students would have to furnish income certificates of their guardians/parents that would be valid for a period of one year
- The state government would be advertising the scheme details every year and would be receiving online application every year as per the timeline set by the government.
- Aadhar number of the respective students is mandatory for payment of scholarships under the scheme
- The scholarship is further reserved at 30 per cent for the gild children from the weaker sections. In case of non-availability of girl children for the above mentioned percentage, the balance seats would be given to the male candidates.
- The number of scholarships are prefixed for each state and union territory and the availability are allotted accordingly.
The initiative is a good gesture by the central government in empowering state governments to provide financial assistance to the meritorious students from weaker sections. All this, in totality would help the government create a justified society in which each citizen has the same rights for their growth and development.